I use

$builder->add('fecha_creacion', 'birthday',
                      array('widget' => 'choice',
                      'pattern'=>'dd/MM/yyyy',
                      'format'=>3));

but you have to fix

symfony/component/form/extension/core/type/datetype.php

in line 96 intead of

$pattern = $form->getAttribute('formatter')->getPattern();

put

$pattern = $form->getAttribute('pattern');

marcelo

security at symfony-project.com