Here is a concrete example of the behavior that I think would be very
useful:
   (1) variables x{3}'
   (2) e = sin(x1 - x2)
-> (3) e = SIN(x1-x2)

   (4) f = x3*e*tan(x2)*sin(e)
-> (5) f = x3*TAN(x2)*e*SIN(e)

   (6) test = dt(f)
-> (7) test = TAN(x2)*e*SIN(e)*x3' + x3*e*SIN(e)*x2'/COS(x2)^2 + x3*TAN
(x2)*COS(x1-x2)*SIN(e)*(x1'-x2') + x3*TAN(x2)*COS(x1-x2)*e*COS(e)*(x1'-
x2')

   (6) variables

 The following variables have been declared:

x1  x2  x3
x1'  x2'  x3'
   (6)

This is the output of a program called Autolev.  Ignore the annoying
things like its capitalization sin, cos, tan, and the way the
variables command works by injecting things into the workspace.  The
main functionality I'm trying to emulate is in its ability to assume
time dependence of the variables x1 x2 and x3 upon time, and just use
compact notation like x1' to represent D(x(t), t).  Things like solve
and coeff work just fine in Autolev for these variables:

   (8) coef(test, x1')
 Result = x3*TAN(x2)*COS(x1-x2)*(SIN(e)+e*COS(e))
   (8) solve(test, x1')
-> (9) x1' = -(TAN(x2)*e*SIN(e)*x3'+x3*e*SIN(e)*x2'/COS(x2)^2-x3*TAN
(x2)*COS(x1-x2)*SIN(e)*x2'-x3*TAN(x2)*COS(x1-x2)*e*COS(e)*x2')/(x3*TAN
(x2)*COS(x1-x2)*(SIN(e)+e*COS(e)))

Again, some of the behavior here is sloppy, but hopefully this
illustrates some of the behavior that would be useful.

I would like to emulate the behavior that allows one to:
1) explicitly declare a Symbol to be a function of some parameters (in
my case, just Symbol('t') would be adequate)
2) never have to explicitly use notation like x(t), because x is
"Assumed" to be a function of time.
3) have the chain rule work, so that when a symbolic expression has
things like sin(x), and you differentiate it, you get, cos(x)*x',
rather than 0 (the way sympy works now unless you use Function or
Symbol with explicit 'x(t)' notation).
4) have diff(x, t) return another Symbol, some linked to the parent
symbol ( i.e. x' is a descendant of x, or something like this)  so
that it can be used in all the functions that work well with Symbol.

This sort of behavior would make many things extremely easy and for
the stuff I'm doing, would let one focus on the problem, not on the
syntax.

Thoughts?

~Luke