Aaron was correct, it was late at night (or early in the morning).

Ondrej, can you elaborate on what you mean by canonical form?  Do you
mean something should be done in cos.canonize?  Currently canonize
just call cls.eval(arg).

I'm unclear why it works for 1 and x, i.e. cos(1-x)==cos(x-1), but not
with x and y?  It seems like there must be some logic that has been
coded in a way that only works with specific types, when it really
should work for any reasonable type.

Is this something that would be fixed in cos.eval?  Or should the fix
go elsewhere?  In cos.eval there is some code that is supposed to take
care of normalizing cos(-x-y) to cos(x+y), but obviously the logic in
there isn't catching this.

~Luke