I've spent the last several days trying to incorporate Sherjilozair's
smallchanges PR into matrices.

matrices is still rough in design, namely there are lots of methods in
MatrixBase that should probably be in MutableMatrix since SparseMatrix
derives from MatrixBase and Sparse's .mat is a dictionary while Matrix's
.mat is a flat list of row-wise elements. To keep make it clear when a
method shouldn't work with Sparse I've changed Sparse's .mat attribute to
.smat so if a method is called on Sparse that is defined in MatrixBase (but
really should be in MutableMatrix) it will now fail. smat and mat should
probably be private methods.

I hope lack of the ideal will not keep someone from looking at this and
considering the significant upgrade. I also un-XFAILed the test suite for
SparseMatrix which has been un-run since almost the begninning of SymPy
(about 10,500 commits ago where an immediate return was added).

If there are any changes that one wants to make, feel free to take over the
branch and make the changes. Just as there is no end to the writing of
books, there is no end to changes that can be made...only the possibility
of trading one work for another :-)

The coverage is above 92%.

Best regards,
 Christopher Smith