I would like to discuss about the Project Idea Improve the Plotting Module
being proposed on
the Sympy Gsoc 2014 Ideas List. I am glad to hear Stefan is willing to
mentor this project.
I am looking forward to contribute to Sympy by working on this project idea
as part of the
upcoming Summer of Code. I chose to work on this project as the idea looks
very appealing
to me and I have the desired skills to work on this project. I can get the
work done within
Google Summer of Code time as a propective student.

After getting myself acquainted with the sympy code and the libraries being
getting used
while working on this project idea, I would discuss some of the work to be
done as part of
this project over here.

Firstly I would like to discuss about writing/fixing/ extening the backends
for the plotting module
of Sympy. Currently Sympy makes use of pyglet for plotting 3D plots. Since
it is mentioned that
we can add backends : matplotlib, Google Chart API link, pyglet, asciart,
d3.js and mayavi.
I think working on this would be better. I had tried my hands working with
the d3.js and mayavi
backend and can start off working on this after seeking appropriate
guidance from the mentor.
Since after the addition of the d3.js and mayavi, I don't think we would
require pyglet module
for plotting. Or it is necessary to keep it and improve and write backend
for it too.
D3.js and mayavi can handle both plotting of 2D and 3D plots. Apart from
this we are also
having one three.js which would also be a great additon as backend to sympy
plotting module.

Secondly, I would like to discuss about : Implement a intelligent routine
that automatically determines the regions of interest for plotting. For
this what be better for Sympy plotting module.
Anyone having some idea as of which tool(s) can be used to make this happen.

Last but not the least, I would like to discuss about the current pyglet
module that Sympy is
using for plotting. Can we remove this remove after we have the backends
added to the
Sympy Plotting Module. If not, What are the issues specifically working on
this for plotting
2D and 3D plots. I can put in efforts to improve this module and willing to
work as a
prospective student.

@ Stefan : I would like to know about the suitable time when you are
available on IRC so that
I can discuss more on the project ides, issues (if any) and get the queries
solved. Could you
Please fix some slot for the discussion of the project idea. You can have a
look at my
github profile[1] and can contact me on IRC.[2]

[1]  Github :
*https://github.com/NitinAgarwal <https://github.com/NitinAgarwal>*[2]  IRC
: nitinagarwal3006

*Nitin Agarwal*