On 15 February 2016 at 15:01, Andrew Corrigan <andrew.corri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you both for your replies.  I'm not sure I follow the discussion to be
> honest as to how it applies to my original problem.  In particular:
>>>
>>> Distilling this down you want to compute the integral of the square
>>> root of a quadratic
>
> I'm not sure that is accurate.

It is for the example you showed :).

>  If you are just referring to that it is
> (foo(xi))**2  + (bar(xi))**2, then yes the expression is quadratic in foo
> and bar.  But in general, foo(xi) and bar(xi) are themselves higher degree
> polynomials of xi (and in higher dimensions other coordinates too).  This is
> a very simple and minimal reproducing example: in this case foo and bar are
> linear polynomials so the whole expression is quadratic.

The example is not minimal. Much of your expression is a red herring
with symbols that are unimportant to people reading on this list. A
minimal example would be something like:

sqrt(ax^2 + bx + c)

> I have expressions
> I need to integrate, where foo(xi) and bar(xi) are higher-order polynomials
> terms of xi.

If you want to do sqrt(P(x)) with P(x) polynomial of degree k then I
think you can have general solutions for k=1,2,3 and 4 (assuming P(x)
has no repeated roots). Sympy can do k=1 and should be able to do 2
with a bit of help. For 3 and 4 you want the elliptic integrals
although maybe sympy doesn't do them yet.

For k>4 there may be solutions for certain special cases of the
polynomial coefficients. In general for a polynomial with symbolic
coefficients I don't think that there exist well-known mathematical
functions to represent the results.

--
Oscar

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxT-s_h6M5AvXPF6mYgXDOD6By1_zXekZ1gynrk3KnGHog%40mail.gmail.com.