(Replying on-list)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 20:37, Alan Bromborsky <abrombo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since most pc these days have multiple cores and threads what not use
> parallel algorithyms.  For honesty I must state I have a vested interest
> since I have a pc with a threadripper cpu with 16 cores and 32 threads.

Parallel algorithms can offer improvement. Your 16 cores might amount
to a 10x speed up if used well for this kind of thing. The
double-threading probably can't be exploited in CPython.

However I think that many of the things that SymPy is slow for have
*really* bad asymptotic performance: think O(N!) rather than O(N^2).
Many orders of magnitude improvements can be made by spotting these
where more efficient methods are possible. It's not hard in a CAS to
accidentally generate enormous expressions and end up simplifying them
down again. This leads to many situations where it would be vastly
more efficient to somehow take a more direct route.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxTeAGZUv1kdtKCvBRodMZPyX5jHh76G0M49VshwMziJZA%40mail.gmail.com.