Hi Grace,

I don't know where it is you're looking to see the proposals for
differential equations but I can tell you that the ODE systems code is
a bit of a mess right now. See the label solvers.dsolve on Github for
relevant issues/PRs.

At the moment there are many methods for very specific types of ODE
but many are untested and/or don't work and many obvious cases are
missing. What is needed is some good more general methods. In some
cases I have tried to come up with examples but I can't come up with
any example where the method is useful.

If I was going to spend time fixing this then I would firstly:

1. Try to improve test coverage for the systems methods that are there
2. Fix the constant coeff homogeneous case (there are existing stalled
PRs) and a number of open issues
3. Remove as many of possible of the methods that are special cases of 2.
4. Handle the non-homogeneous version of 2 (and remove corresponding
special cases)
5. Add a generalised version of the nth_algebraic ODE solver that can
be used for simple ODE systems.

There will still be plenty more to do after that.

A good way to start working on this would be to identify the untested
methods and try to add tests for them. (If you run test_ode with
coverage testing enabled you can see which ones are covered).

--
Oscar

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxRP0icL01vD%3Dqb7mg33j8DsHorMMXWj--YHYSBC3rmS-g%40mail.gmail.com.