Hi Tanvi,

It's great that you want to contribute!

Take a look here (I guess you already did):
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/introduction-to-contributing

Every part of SymPy can be improved in some way. You mention matrices
- there is a lot of work going on for matrices and many issues:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Amatrices
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Amatrices.expressions

Also for calculus, are you familiar with differential equations? There
are lots of issues for those:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Asolvers.dsolve

I would suggest to familiarise yourself with the parts of SymPy you
might want to work on and then find the easiest possible issue to work
on. You can ask on the issue to check if anyone else is working on it
and to confirm that it is easy. Some are marked "easy to fix" or "good
first issue" but sometimes those labels can be misleading...
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22Easy+to+Fix%22+
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22

--
Oscar