I guess this is the dependency problem in interval arithmetic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_arithmetic#Dependency_problem
(Note that x**2+x is the example used there)

The issue is that we have to know the identity of the intervals. For
example if x and y are distinct intervals both [-1,1] then x*y is
[-1,1]. However x**2 has to be [0, 1].