On Thu, 14 May 2020 at 00:34, David Bailey <d...@dbailey.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/05/2020 23:36, Jason Moore wrote:
>
> I had a look at the backwards incompatibilities.
>
> This one stood out:
>
> Submodule names are no longer imported with from sympy import *. They can
> still be imported directly like from sympy import core or accessed like
> sympy.core, or like sys.modules['sympy.simplify'] for modules that share
> names with SymPy functions.
>
> Is this really necessary? On the face of it, I suspect this could cause a
> fair amount of code in the wild to break. I'm not sure what breaking this
> functionality gains, but it surely may cause down stream pain.
>
> I agree strongly with this comment.
>
> There needs to be a simple sway to load all the SymPy functionality - not
> least because users may not know the exact name of a function they wish to
> use, let alone what submodule it is located in! In addition, as Jason says,
> this will break a great deal of code.
>
> Not everyone who wishes to use SymPy is going to be familiar with Python.

To be clear using `from sympy import *` will still import an enormous
number of functions and other things from all of the different
submodules. What it no longer does is also import the actual submodule
objects from which those functions are defined. The intention of this
change is that most users will not notice the difference.

You can see the full list of what is importable from sympy in 1.6 here:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/5d1b2c6f04f583ec0beeea4b8238d4151b497332/sympy/__init__.py#L261

--
Oscar