On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 14:54, Jonathan Gutow <gu...@uwosh.edu> wrote:

> I think the Plone PLIP implementation is the best of the two. Here's my brief
> understanding (details at:
> https://docs.plone.org/develop/coredev/docs/plips.html):
>
> PLIPs are implemented as issues in the github repository. This facilitates
> conversion to a simple bugfix or small enhancement if review determines that
> is more appropriate.
> PLIPs are primarily for changes that will have significant impact on the
> codebase, API or end user experience.
> The project is large enough that they have a number of committees that
> oversee things. One of them oversees PLIP review on the community discussion
> groups and makes the final decision of whether to approve or deny the PLIP.
> The issue is used to produce a final version of the PLIP with a detailed
> description of the desired outcome, how it will be implemented (not
> line-by-line changes) and the risks/potential problems associated with the
> implementation. The expectation is that all PLIPs will have some negatives
> and will only be approved if the community decides that the positives
> outweigh the negatives.
>
> Based on my brief experience with SymPy, I think an oversight committee for
> SIPs might be more than the current SymPy community can manage. Otherwise, I
> think the model used by Plone makes it easy for people to propose significant
> changes and get a clear community review.

I think that you are probably right. I was thinking more just that
SEPs (SIPs?) could be discussed here on the mailing list rather than
on github to involve a wider audience. That's a feature of PEPs/NEPs
that isn't described in the PLIPs guidance, presumably because the
process involves a regular oversight committee.

It's interesting to see that in the Plone model there is a very clear
separation between specification and implementation. The guidance
makes it clear that implementation is not expected to begin until some
agreement is reached on the changes to be made. That is I think what
sympy needs as well.

Oscar