Hello David,
indeed, when I enter print(sqrt(-1)), I get I, just as you do.
However, when I enter print(4s**2), it is flagged with an error "unexpected
token 's'", so I immediately see that I have something wrong. But, when I
enter print(4j**2), I get (-16 + 0j), so python is just making a complex
number out of it, and so I overlooked the error.
This means that both j and I mean sqrt(-1).
Just to add to the confusion, the mathematics paper I have been working on
was published in 1878 and the author used i and j as summation indices. But
then, someone else published an additional analysis in 1896 and avoided the
use of i as an index, using j and s instead, and saving i for sqrt(-1), and
I have been following that author's conventions. Now I think it would
probably be smart top avoid both i and j, or better, avoid i, I and j,
because i is used by mathematicians, I is used by sympy, and j is used by
python and electrical engineers.