Hi Nijso,

Thank you for the suggestions. Even I have found the Kovacic Algorithm to
be difficult to understand since I'm not familiar with differential galois
groups.

> You can also start by writing a solver for first order rational Riccati
ODEs, because Kovacic' method is basically telling you how the Liouvillian
solution of a second order ODE can be found > by solving a rational Riccati
ODE.

Could you suggest any paper for Ricatti ODEs? Would there be enough work
for it be a good GSoC project?

> You can also consider implementing a general Lie (symmetry) method to
find integrating factors for first order ODEs. It is the most successful
first order ODE solver and can solve e.g.      > 90% of the Kamke database
of first order ODEs. Such a method can also solve all 'trivial' ODEs like
linear, separable, Bernoulli, which sympy cannot all solve. It is more
robust because       > symmetry methods does not depend on pattern matching
the ODE. Some Lie group methods have been implemented in sympy already
which can be a basis to work on. Note that all        > solvable first
order ODEs have an integrating factor, and an integrating factor solves the
first order ODE.

Which paper would be more useful for SymPy - the lie symmetry methods for
1st order or the lie symmetry methods for 2nd order?

> Hope this helps. If you or somebody else wants to work on any of these
methods, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks again. I will definitely ask you for help in case I end up
implementing these methods!

Naveen