from sympy import symbols, solve
w, x, y, z = symbols("w x y z")
equations = [
    w + x + y - 1,
    z - 1,
    w/(w+y) - 0.5,
    w/(w+y) + y/(w+y) - 1
]
soln = solve(equations, (w, x, y, z), dict=True)[0]  # accept first solution
print(soln)

the soln is:

{
  w: y,
  x: 1.0 - 2.0*y,
  z: 1.000
}

Is there a way I can use solve or some other function in SymPy to
change/influence the set of independent variables? In this case, I would
like to prefer x to be independent (used in the expressions of the soln
values) instead of y.

This is a simplified of my actual code. In practice, I don't know which
symbols will can be independent before I call solve, but trivial for me to
order the symbols in order of my preference for them to be independent, if
possible.

Cheers,
Brandon Bocklund