Graham Cobb <g+syncevolut...@cobb.uk.net> writes:
> On 24/07/2020 20:38, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> * At the top of that list is ActiveSync support. activesyncd no longer
>>   builds on Debian Stretch because it depends on libgnome-keyring, which
>>   was removed. It probably can be ported to libsecret, but that's
>>   extra work.
>
> I no longer need ActiveSync myself (my employer banned it a while ago
> and, more recently, I have retired anyway). I feel it is a shame to let
> it die and could probably be persuaded to do some work on it if someone
> actually wanted it and could provide me with access to systems to
> develop and test.

I was paying for one of the hosted Exchange services for a while to have
something to test against. Costs were okayish, but as I wasn't really
doing much with it and it became more expensive once the initial trial
period was over, I canceled that.

As you said, unless someone really uses it, it makes no sense to put
work and real money into ActiveSync support.

>> I suppose users would like to see binaries again, primarily because
>> SyncEvolution fell out of Debian/Ubuntu?
>
> Now that I am retired, I am not sure what my usage will be. My (new)
> master for contacts and calendar is in Owncloud/Nextcloud (mainly using
> Thunderbird as UI), however I haven't decided how I will keep various
> other devices synced (particularly Sailfish, if I continue to use that).
>
> I would find it convenient to have Debian binaries although I don't know
> if I will need them long term.
>
> I am disappointed, having worked on PIM sync for many years, that the
> world seems to be willing to settle for very limited and mostly locked
> up services from Microsoft, Apple or Android.

I know what you mean :-(

There still seem to be people who care, but their number is shrinking.

--
Best Regards

Patrick Ohly