Hello, Cillian!

Great to see the progress here!
You need to edit synfig-studio/configure.ac file.
I would recommend to read this document on topic -
http://www.openismus.com/documents/linux/using_libraries/using_libraries
Also, you can examine the git history of synfig repository and look at
the commits touching synfig-core/configure.ac or
synfig-studio/configure.ac - they might help as well.

Regards,
K.

--
http://morevnaproject.org/