Yeah, I found what happened.  On 3/2 I called for a vote.  Then the pandemic hit and I drafted but did not send an email suggested we wait a few months.

Here's my notes on it:

*** On March 1, 2020, we will stop publishing rulesets with SHA-1 checksums.
    If you do not update to 3.4.2 or later, you will be stuck at the last
    ruleset with SHA-1 signatures. ***

Simply changing the dns to static is all what is primarily needed

1 - Confirm with private@ - EMAILED 3/2/20

Sent Mar 3 at 9:35AM
Barring objections in the next 48 hours, I will change the DNS entries to a static point in time so that updates on older versions are no longer produced. I will also work with sysadmin to turn off the creation of md5 and sha-1 signatures. I will also update the build readmes for trunk and 3.4 to know that those signature should not be produced again.

I think it's the community has so much upheaval about this they can easily download the rules updates sign them themselves and put them up on an alternate channel.

1a - Hold off due to pandemic

Want me to look into it again?

Regards,
KAM

On 4/13/2021 9:10 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
We should also update the zone file to static for the older versions too so they never try and get a newer update.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021, 21:08 Sidney Markowitz <sid...@apache.org <mailto:sid...@apache.org>> wrote:

    Kevin A. McGrail wrote on 14/04/21 12:22 am:
    > BTW, did we actually turn off the sha-1 signature generation?  I
    think
    > that was when David and the pandemic hit...

    You are right.
    http://sa-update.spamassassin.org/1888609.tar.gz.sha1
    <http://sa-update.spamassassin.org/1888609.tar.gz.sha1> exists.

    But now that it has been officially announced that we no longer
    support
    it we can turn it off.

    I'm adding a Cc to sysadmins since that's where someone can go
    ahead and
    remove the generation of the sha1 files.

      Sidney

--

        *Kevin A. McGrail*
/CEO Emeritus/

        10311 Cascade Lane, Fairfax, Virginia 22032-2357 USA