By default, the data is cryptographically verified.  An admin has to
specifically turn off that feature.

There's little benefits of using HTTPS in this specific setting and it's
just an extra requirement on our volunteer mirrors.  It will add time, CPU
load, and even a small amount of bandwidth increase. All to achieve nothing.

>From a security analysis, this is public data so it's a very low risk with
no data toxicity.

I just don't see the benefit. As a security expert, I also make sure to
focus my time where it's best utilized.  So I am recommending that you and
I can spend our time elsewhere as well as our mirror volunteers :-)

-KAM