> From the firewall point of view, we can simply enable
> or disable BEEP.

But you don't "enable or disable BEEP". You enable or disable syslog;
syslog happens to use BEEP for its messaging protocol. Ditto anything
else that uses BEEP; you're still enabling the individual protocol.

> When a crypting tuning profile is used, the firewall
> can not even look at the application layer into the exchange of BEEP
> packages. So effectively BEEP will open up a hole in the firewall (as
> does SOAP for HTTP).

HTTP opens a security hole in a firewall, even with a proxy server. I
have successfully run IP tunnels over HTTP through a proxy using
off-the-shelf software. This is a red herring, IMO.

--
Harald Koch     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>