Hi,

Glen hit it correctly.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Glen Zorn wrote:

> > All of the current RFCs/Ids describe 7 bit US-ASCII only. So I don't
> see any
> > way to use UTF-8 in the current framework.
>
> But RFC 3164 just _documents_ BSD syslog, it doesn't _define_ IETF
> syslog; I-Ds are made to be changed.  Presumably, the purpose of this WG
> is not just to document an ancient protocol, but to improve it.

Let me go over "The Way Things Work" in the IETF.  :-)  There are various
kinds of "standards" developed in RFCs.  RFC 3164 is Informational - this
means that it does not represent a standard of any kind and may be safely
ignored by everyone.  The reason this Working Group wrote it was to
explain the way that it had been seen to have been working and (more
importantly) to document the security flaws in it.  That paved the way for
our subsequent works to fix those flaws.  Both syslog-sign and RFC 3195
(reliable delivery) are Standards Track documents.  This means that they
will be real Internet Standards some day.  This doesn't mean that they are
immutable - there are multiple ways to change Standards.

First, a Standard may be "Obsoleted".  Let's take Telnet as an example.
Jon Postel wrote RFC 761 in June 1980 to describe it.  In May 1983, Jon
and Joyce Reynolds wrote RFC 854 which Obsoleted RFC 761.  This means that
anyone looking for the specifications for Telnet should start with RFC
854.

Second, a Standard may be augmented.  Still using Telnet, in January 1993,
David Borman wrote RFC 1408 explaining a new Telnet Option.  Essentially
this makes no changes to the Telnet specification but says that "this" may
also occur within Telnet.  Anyone looking to implement Telnet may stop
reading after they finish RFC 854 but they would be wise to implement
these Options for robustness and completeness.

Third, a Standard may be "Updated".  In January of 1994, David Borman
published RFC 1571 which updates RFC 1408.  This explains that there was a
problem with RFC 1408 and RFC 1571 addresses it.  The fundamental premise
of RFC 1408 is still good but specifics are needed to describe a
particular issue.  People looking to implement Telnet should be reading
RFC 854, 1408 and 1571.  They should also be reading many other RFCs which
describe various other features and options but that's beside my point.

So..., we have the syslog-sign ID.  This is going to be the first
definitive Standard on syslog.  :-)  I think that it gives everyone a good
basis for consistently providing event messages and a way to authenticate
the origin of the messages.  We could ask John and Jon to include a
section on the Internationalization of messages within that document for
completeness.  However, I think that we're all ready for that document to
be published and I don't know that John and Jon have any inclination or
background to work on Internationalization issues.  This is going to be
fine as a basis from which to work on updates.

Rainer is working on a way to Augment syslog-sign.  His work will document
how non-US-ASCII characters may be sent within syslog (as it is defined in
syslog-sign).

At some future time, someone may need to Update syslog-sign.  For example,
the TIMESTAMP-3339 describes time on this planet.  Someone may have need
to describe the time on Mars or on another planet in syslog messages so a
new document may be written which will describe the problem and the
resolution.  [I am NOT asking for volunteers on that work at this time.]

Finally, we have RFC 3195.  Marshall and Darren wrote that based upon RFC
3164 which was all we had to go by at that time.  When syslog-sign, and
when syslog-international are published (or near enough) we can ask them
to incorporate the changes needed.  [Along with changes needed by the
netconf WG.] They may choose to Update 3195, or they may Obsolete it.
Thoughts on this (on the mailing list) will be accepted but it seems a bit
premature until we see where syslog-international is going.

What all of this means is that Rainer needs to look through the relevent
RFCs describing Internationalization efforts and see how prior wisdom
indicates how non-US-ASCII characters may be placed into syslog-sign -
even if that means Augmenting syslog-sign to allow it to include 8-bit
characters.  As a subject matter expert, he needs to think about how it
may be best done for the community at large.

Does all of this make sense?

Rainer:  Apologies for talking about you in the third-person but it seemed
like the best way to describe everything.  :-)

Thanks,
Chris