Hi WG,

I had some off-list discussion with Anton Okmianski on the proposed
fragmentation issue in here. I think he raised some very good points and
I am now posting some of his important thoughts (with his permission):

> I don't have any beef with reboot id...  On the contrary, if it is
> defined as a per process thing, I think it is not a bad idea.  But if
> it is per-host, then sequence numbers have to per-host.  And this is
> bad.  This means that processes have to coordinate with each other
> (through another daemon process, shared memory, peer-to-peer or other
> mechanism). This is a problem because this complexity affects
> availability and reliability of the solutions.  When things are hosed
> on the system, it helps when process does not have external
> dependencies in order to report the problems.
>
> I understand that you have to deal with -sign though.  And I don't
> know exactly what they spec'ed.  On the other hand -sign is not even
> an RFC yet.   I think they should probably add process identifier and
> make reboot id per process. It seems like a very obvious choice if we
> are saying that we support architecture of multiple processes firing
> remotely directly.

I think this boils down to the issue of a single daemon (*nix like)
design vs. a design with multiple independant senders running on the
same system. I agree on that there is an issue if we borrow too much
from the *nix approach (or kind of silently assume it).

Some related reading can be found here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/syslog-sec%40employees.org/msg01217.html (be
sure to follow the thread)

In some other mail, Anton proposed to drop the reboot session ID in
favour of using the following fields as identifier for a single message:

- TIMESTAMP (should be at least in millisecond resolution)
- TAG (should include process id)
- HOSTNAME

These fields should be exactly the same in each fragment and identify
the message (the whole, oversized one). Then fragementation is done
close to what was proposed in -international-0:

fragno.fragtotal

with fragno being the current fragment (starting at 1) and fragtotal
being the total number of fragments. fragtotal would be optional. No
byte counting is done, it is just a plain advancing number. The bottom
line of this is that we can NOT detect bytes added after the original
message with this approach (but would we really like to preserve -sign
signatures in this case...?).

I have to say, I like Anton's approach. It's simple & efficient and
removes the need for the reboot session id, which can be challenging in
some environments.

If there is no objection, I will move this approach into the next
revision of -international.

So, is there any objection? ;)

Anton: would you find this sufficent, as I do not make process id a
MUST?

Rainer