Hi David,

> Let me start about by saying that I am often curmudgeonly, so please
> forgive any negative tone to this message; I am making the
> comment to be
> constructively critical. I have had experience dealing with problems
> similar to those I find in this proposal, so please pay
> attention to the
> concerns.

I have no problem with that (besides that I don't find a negative
tone;)). I value your opinion much as you obviously have experience in
this regard.

> I want to clarify my position, which you aggregated with other
> positions, and inadvertently misstated.

sorry - that actually was what I understood...

> Since it has my name in the
> greeting, I would like to make sure your misstatement doesn't mislead
> anybody about my position.
>
> I did not say that XML-based syntax is a good idea. It may be; it may
> not be; whether it is will depend on lots of factors that need to be
> weighed carefully. Two of the potential benefits of using XML
> are reuse
> of existing implemented standards (which benefits both operators and
> implementors) and interoprability with other application
> formats (which
> benefits application developers and consequently application users).
>
> I think an XML-"like" syntax may be a BAD idea because it achieves
> neither of these two benefits, and adds the negative
> tradeoffs of having
> to maintain the new XML-like syntax, requiring operators to learn a
> unique syntax for syslog, and having to support a unique new syntax in
> implementations. Making it "look like" XML doesn't mean it gets the
> benefits of using XML.

I see the argument. Do you think that relying on something already
accepted - like BEEP XML in RFC3080 is a solution? As far as I can see,
RFC3080 is increasingly becoming implemented. So while not full XML, it
may be a standard that works "as expected"?

> Beyond this point, I make only one other comment about the proposal.
> Using existing terms for existing standards to refer to non-compliant
> "look-like" things benefits few. It is misleading and adds
> confusion to
> the already difficult process of standardization.

... understood and agreed.

> I think it is a bad
> idea to refer to your proposal as "simple XML" - it is either
> XML or it
> is not - or to refer to the information as a "cookie", which has a
> commonly accepted usage which this usage is not.

This, too is a very valid point. I never thought about it, just picked
the word from syslog-sign.

I think we (syslog-sec WG) should probably think about another term. I
will spawn off a new thread for this.

Thanks again for your very helpful comments!

Rainer