Hi Anton,

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Anton Okmianski wrote:

> Rainer:
>
> I am really struggling with that restriction not to standardize syslog
> storage in IETF.  It diminishes the value of the syslog protocol as
> people can't write a standard syslog parser.
>
> It would be nice if we could find another standards body which could be
> used to address that aspect. I assume log analysis mailing list is not
> affiliated with a standards body, or is it? I wonder if there is good
> precedent out there of two standards bodies working in tandem like this.
> Maybe W3C?

It may be that the IETF will accept that work.  However, it outside of our
current charter and that's not going to change until after we complete the
work we have going on in:
 - syslog-protocol
 - syslog-transport
 - syslog-sign
One could argue that without guidance from these documents, the question
of storage is rather ambiguous; what are you receiving to store and what
protection mechanisms are available with them.  I would also think that if
such work is undertaken in the future and it finds a problem with one of
these standards, then the standard may be changed.  However, at this
point, we need to put a stake in the ground and complete what's in front
of us.

If you really want to find another spot in the IETF, approach the OAM Area
Directors with a proposal.  If you'd like to go outside, I'd suggest NRIC
or T1M1 (through ATIS).

> Somebody suggested to me an idea that maybe a bit wild, but could
> address this.  A protocol for syslog server to return messages it has
> stored.  It could be UDP-based. How much less efficient would that be
> than reading a file?  I don't think the difference will be huge as I/O
> will likely be the bigger bottleneck anyway.   Essentially, the messages
> could be returned using the same -protocol & -transport and we just need
> to add some request/response semantics.  This does sound pretty wild,
> but desperate times call for desperate measures :) and I thought I would
> just pass it along.

Actually, I think I'd like to see what comes out of Netconf before this WG
looks down that path.

Thanks,
Chris