Rainer:

I think it is may not a bad idea.  The only issue is that we will have
to produce all three IDs (-protocol, -transport and -relay) all at the
same time, right?  I think it would be a good idea or it would not
provide a complete replacement for RFC 3164.

However, if all of this is much more work for you or for the group, I
don't know if it is worth it.  It would make more sense if we indeed end
up having to add a lot more stuff for relay operations like ability to
envelop the message so it can include original IP, time of reception,
etc.

More so than relay operations, I think my issue with size was related to
various implementation guidance that may not be needed or could be
counterproductive in some cases. I know it is a fine line.  I have
pointed a few examples.

Anton.