>> I think we do need some limit.  For fragmentation in -protocol I need
 >> to know how many bytes to dedicate to the fragment offset and
 >> potentially message length.

> I advocated for no limit, but I sea the reasoning ;) I'd go for 24 bits,

At 'trick' we can do is limit to 23 bits. And specify that whenever the
highest (24th) bit is 1/true/set another schema is valid, one with a
longer field for the length

ASN.1/BER uses a format like this one. (But more extended)
It works: For now, we can use upto "very long" messages. For tomorrow
(or a little later:-) it is simple to extend. Ofcoarse we can also bump
the syslog-version number then

For the min length: use 1024! Or a little less, like in rfc3164
implementations.

--
Groetjes,
--ALbert Mietus