Anton & all,

in IPv6, we have the "unspecified address", which I think is exactly
what we should use in the case an device does actually know nothing
about itself (last case in Anton's messsage below) it is
"0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0".

Some links:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address-space
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ios_abcs_ios_the_abcs_ip
_version_60900aecd800c111d.html

According to RFC 3330 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt), I
think we can also use "0.0.0.0" for IPv4 addressing in this case.

Comments are highly appreciated.

Rainer