> I think that the issue of I-Ds is a red herring.  TLS is a string of I-Ds,
> reflecting recent work on a protocol that many have not heard of, knowing
> only of SSL.  SSH is a string of I-Ds, reflecting recent work on a protocol
> that many are familiar with.  In both cases, there are problems of
> conformance, of there being different, not quite standard flavours, and
> the work of the IETF is to bring conformity to two well established
> protocols (bit like syslog:-).

I think most people are going to be about as familiar with the TLS protocol
as they are with the SSH one - in terms of depth of knowledge.  As for use,
well as you've pointed out, anyone using "https" is using TLS/SSL, so it's
hard to say people are unaware of it.

In both cases, people generally follow a specific "script" to achieve a
given goal without being overly concerned about the flow of bits and bytes
in the middle.

In summary, I find this line of argument quite specious.

Darren