Hector Trevino took notes. I'll post these to the repository if no one
has any comments.
Syslog meeting notes
Chris went over various outstanding issues/updates
- use of unicode (see presented slide)
- SD-IDs (see presented slide)
- Will it be implemented? -- Angle brackets w/PRI inside or new
* Sharon Chisholm - concerned about doing a complete re-do of
may change in the near future. Too many changes may be dangerous
since it may go on for a while.
* Proposal is to update the draft to put back angle brackets around
PRI - no one objected
* Put updated timestamp
* Steve Chang - he feels that keeping the angle brackets will help
implementations. It also helps as a delimiter for multiple syslog
* Sam - these changes are significant and they should not be made
now. The document
should be withdrawn from last call, updated, and re-submitted if
the changes need
to be made - agreed
* Richard G. - looking at multiple dimensions (better use of field,
will it be implemented). Seems the WG is defining a new protocol.
Want to be able
to separate the issues. Want to use syslog in a management
framework for another
standard outside the IETF but needed security.
* Proposal - separate various issues into multiple docs.
Question to mailing list: should a new doc be generated to
include angle bracket,
new time stamp, and SD-ID
* Darrin - should have a syslog receiver compliance doc (accept old
format - 3164 and
over time accept new one). Capture evolution of
protocol/implementations. The protocol
doc does not appear to be good enough for capturing this.
* Steve - Truncate indicator seems to be necessary. Chris - perhaps
move it from the
header to the SD-ID
* Sam - WG is behind on many milestones. Various concerns about
decisions the WG is
making at this late stage. CHris - the WG will establish new
Alex Clemm - update on signed syslog (syslog-sign)
Brief re-cap of what the current draft specifies
sylsog/BEEP - anyone implemented it? Cisco
SSH and TLS - should do this in conjunction w/other WGs (NETCONF,
Split decision on use of SSH & TLS - take it to the mailing list
Syslog mailing list