Please see my inline comments.

[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of Chris Lonvick (clonvick)
> Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 11:12 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [Syslog] New direction and proposed charter
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'd like for us to come to closure on some things.  I'm going to be a
bit
> direct on these questions so we can focus quicker.  We really need for
> people to send in responses to see who's listening and involved.
>

> >From the meeting, it sounds like we will get many more
implementations if
> we continue to use <PRI>... at the start of syslog messages.  This
will
> allow current receivers to continue to receive messages and put them
in
> the right bins.  Does anyone disagree with this?

I agree. With <PRI> retained, our server code will not be broken.
And it can serve as message delimiter so we can pack as many short
messages before placing it to transport layer delivery.

> The WG has agreed to use the timestamp Rainer has in the current
> syslog-protocol.
>

> Using the FQDN and numeric notations for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses has
been
> agreed to.
>

> Putting in the Structured Data still seems like a great evolutionary
step
> for syslog.  I'd like to see that go into the new syslog-protocol.
Does
> anyone disagree with this?
>

> Should we continue to have the MSGID in the header, or should that
become
> an SD-ID element?

I support keeping it in the HEADER since MSGID is a main key to
identifying
the message, it should not be buried too deep.

Same argument goes to APPNAME.  I suggest keep it in the HEADER part.
Without the APPNAME in the header, one important piece of information
will
have to find its place in the SD section and make it less obvious to
identify uniquely the message since the MSGID field alone can be a
vendor
specific thing and may not be unique enough for our receiver to
differentiate messages.

> We've had slow-downs in our prior discussions about truncation and
message
> length.  To complete this work without revisiting those discussions,
and
> in the spirit of backwards compliance with traditional syslog, I
propose
> that we accept the length as Rainer has proposed in syslog-protocol,
and
> disallow any device to truncate the messages.  At some future time,
> someone can augment the syslog-protocol standard and define a
mechanism
> and signalling that will allow truncation.  Does anyone disagree with
> this?
>

> Encoding has been discussed and we have agreed upon US-ASCII and UTF-8
in
> appropriate places.  Could we add a language tag as an element in an
> SD-ID to indicate the language of the MSG?
>

> We need a version.  Should that be in the header (after <PRI>), or as
an
> element in an SD-ID?

VERSION is here to help differentiate the format changes.
So, I would suggest place it immediately after <PRI> field.

> One possibility would be to assemble a syslog message as:
>
> <PRI>TIMESTAMP FQDN VERSION MSGID [SD-ID]s MSG

With the APPNAME and VERSION I mentioned above, the format will become:

<PRI> VERSION TIMESTAMP FQDN APPNAME MSGID [SD-ID]s MSG

Of course, let's hear opinions from others.