Rainer

I think I detect an approach I do not agree with, in this and perhaps other
issues.

You seem to be saying that the (eg POSIX) syslogd must emit perfect syslog
messages and is responsible for anything that is wrong with them no matter what
it received from the application (I exaggerate slightly).

I would say that if the application passes incomprehensible garbage, something
criminal or illegal, then it is the application that is at fault; syslogd can
only be held responsible if it produces messages that are invalid for the parts
over which it has control, eg header syntax.

So if syslogd has no idea what the transfer encoding is because the rest of the
system does not tell it, then syslogd cannot be held responsible for the absence
of a field saying what the transfer encoding actually is.  Or put differently,
if our RFC specify what the application MUST or SHOULD do, as well as syslogd,
then that is ok with me.

What syslogd would be responsible for, IMO, would be allowing characters that
have a special meaning in the syntax (eg NUL is end of message) appearing
unescaped (or otherwise encoded).  Whether we have such problems depends on the
resolution of other issues, not saying that we have at present.

Tom Petch