On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 09:08 +0100, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

> Of course, a threat model should also be developed, but please keep in
> mind that anything other than signatures breaks what this WG has fought
> for since Vancouver.
>
> syslog-protocol should be finished (I hope we are there soon) as well as
> syslog-transport-udp. Then, these both should be taken to a rest and
> syslog-sign be modified in the sense of -transport and being worked on.
> I think this can probably done quickly, because -sign is almost complete
> and just needs to be modified to take advantage of -protocol.
>
> To be honest, though, I have to admit that I expect many of the upcoming
> implementations to violate syslog-protocol by just implementing
> -protocol and -transport-udp, but not -sign. But that's probably not
> something to care about...

I know that some other mails discussed the same topic and a
misunderstanding has already been resolved about whether to support
transport-udp or not.

I would say that addressing the security concerns at the transport level
is way easier management and implementation wise than implementing
syslog-sign. And in addition they address a different problem:

1) transport level implements security mechanisms on a per hop-by-hop
basis, the message itself is not authenticated, each of the relay
stations can modify the message

2) syslog-sign implements per-message, end-to-end authenticity where the
relay hosts cannot modify messages as they are individually signed by
their origin.

So I'd go with using TLS/DTLS on the transport first and then possibly
adapting syslog-sign when the transport issues are resolved.

--
Bazsi