David, WG,

[snip]

> It is important that we make progress and not just discuss the
> alternatives, ad infinitum, however. We need volunteers who are
> willing to put in the work to write viable internet-drafts and drive
> them to completion, or the discussions are largely useless.
>
> So, I will make these requests to help focus the discussions:
> 1) please indicate which secure transports you consider to be
> feasible,

-transport-ssh, rfc3195bis, [-transport-tls]

> 2) please indicate which secure transports address which syslog
> threats (they're listed in syslog/tls),

section 2 of -transport-tls, IMHO, applies to all three

> 3) please indicate which secure transport you volunteer to write a
> draft for, and

I have acutally "written" (copy&paste plus a few sentences) something
that could be a starting point for -transport-ssh:

http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-ssh-00pre.t
xt

If it is WG consensus, I can submit this as an WG document. The current
version describes the overall picture plus a weak idea of framing and
transmission (sections 4, 5, and 6). This idea was taken from the
current discussion on -transport-tls. However, I consider it to be very
insufficient and have made no attempt to specify it in depth. If we
adopt this document, I would further investigate how a proper framing
would look like. I have on my mind to borrough some ideas from netconf,
but use them in the simple spirit of syslog (e.g. we might use the same
opening with a syslog-reserved URI, if the netconf-WG does not object
against this, but it is too early to discuss such issues).

I would also volunteer to update 3195 to 3195bis, if their original
authors are not available for that. I expect to need some help on the
XML schema when doing so. As I have already written, I expect this to be
an extremely easy and quick task. My summary in the other mail was
concluding. There is no need for any additional edits.

> 4) please indicate which secure transport you would commit to
> implement in your products  (and do you have the decision-making
> authority to commit what gets implemented in shipping products?).

With a very high probability, we would implement -transport-ssh and with
a somewhat lower probability we would change our rfc 3195 implementation
to support 3195bis. I would expect this to happen in our products as
well as in liblogging/rsyslog (open source projects). I have sufficent
decision-making authority to make this commitment (not thinking about
major market or overall company policy changes).

I would deeply appreciate feedback if I should submit the -transport-ssh
draft as a WG document.

Rainer