Hi Sharon,

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Sharon Chisholm wrote:

Hi

Actually, no structured data was already in the draft when this was
added.

At the time, the working group discussed the lossy nature of the
mapping, determined it was inevitable, looked at the various ways the
mapping could be constructed and settled on the one which lost the least
important bit of information.

Perhaps a note indicating that this mapping is lossy and that
implementations that want to be able to do a fully reversible mapping
should consider also sending the alarm/ITU severity within the syslog
message. I don't believe we need to indicate how in this document. Just
indicate that we recognize the issue and hint at how to solve it. Sort
of like a security considerations section.

We have a mechanism defined to address the issue properly. Why would we want to underspecify this standard (syslog-protocol) by just giving a hint of how to do it right? If it is going to be done, then it needs to be done properly and completely, which means fully specifying how to indicate the true ITU severity within structured data. However, I don't want to delay this document by doing it here at this time.

What's wrong with putting this in a separate document?

Thanks,
Chris

Even if people have some extra field, they still need to know what to do
with the severity field syslog. I view this as no different then the
mapping to ifAdmin and ifOper status we did when we did the Entity State
MIB.
        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4268.txt?number=4268

Sharon