Chris,

I mostly agree (but keep my posting on -04 in mind). Some issue below...

Rainer

It is not dependent on draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-08.txt. I suggest
you remove that dependency. -protocol is dependent on both tranports,
but the transport so far only depend on -protocol.

> ===
>     (1.i)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document IANA
>            consideration section exists and is consistent
> with the body
>            of the document?  If the document specifies protocol
>            extensions, are reservations requested in appropriate IANA
>            registries?  Are the IANA registries clearly
> identified?  If
>            the document creates a new registry, does it define the
>            proposed initial contents of the registry and an allocation
>            procedure for future registrations?  Does it suggested a
>            reasonable name for the new registry?  See
>            [I-D.narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis].  If
> the document
>            describes an Expert Review process has Shepherd
> conferred with
>            the Responsible Area Director so that the IESG can
> appoint the
>            needed Expert during the IESG Evaluation?
>
> The document IANA section is complete and the requested registries are
> clearly marked.

The registry name as required by
I-D.narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis is not yet present.

> ===
>     (1.j)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that sections of the
>            document that are written in a formal language, such as XML
>            code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate
> correctly in
>            an automated checker?
>
> The ABNF in the document has been verified through
>   http://www.apps.ietf.org/abnf.html
> ===
>     (1.k)  The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
>            Announcement Write-Up.  Please provide such a Document
>            Announcement Writeup?  Recent examples can be found in the
>            "Action" announcements for approved documents.
> The approval
>            announcement contains the following sections:
>
>            Technical Summary
>               Relevant content can frequently be found in the abstract
>               and/or introduction of the document.  If not,
> this may be
>               an indication that there are deficiencies in
> the abstract
>               or introduction.
>
>     This document describes the use of Transport Layer
> Security (TLS) to
>     provide a secure connection for the transport of syslog messages.
>     This document describes the security threats to Syslog and how TLS
>     can be used to counter such threats.
>
>            Working Group Summary
>               Was there anything in WG process that is worth
> noting?  For
>               example, was there controversy about particular
> points or
>               were there decisions where the consensus was
> particularly
>               rough?
>
> There was controversy around the IPR statement from Huawei from this
> document.  The Working Group examined the issue and came to
> consensus that
> the statement would be accepted.
>
> There was controversy around the use of a version number within the
> payload.  Since this implementation is close to the
> fire&forget model of
> traditional syslog/udp, no signalling of errors from the
> receiver will
> occur.  There was a concern on the mailing list that if the method of
> inserting the payload into the transport were to change in
> the future, the
> recipient may not be able to parse the information.  Hence
> the WG decided
> upon a version number at the start of the payload.  The WG
> consensus at
> this time is to have a version number as a field in the payload.

I did have the impression that removal of the version number was
consensus. Today, I learnt we didn't actaully discuss this. I can life
with and without version number. I'd happily accept a chair decision.
However, if we stick with the version number, I think we must look into
the mechanism on what to do when the receiver does not accept it (see my
review from earlier today).

> There was some controversy around the use of a special
> character to denote
> the end of the payload, or a counter at the start of the payload to
> indicate the length of the payload.  The Working Group has
> consent that a
> counter is the best mechanism.
>

>            Document Quality
>               Are there existing implementations of the
> protocol?  Have a
>               significant number of vendors indicated their plan to
>               implement the specification?  Are there any
> reviewers that
>               merit special mention as having done a thorough review,
>               e.g., one that resulted in important changes or a
>               conclusion that the document had no substantive
> issues?  If
>               there was a MIB Doctor, Media Type or other
> expert review,
>               what was its course (briefly)?  In the case of
> a Media Type
>               review, on what date was the request posted?
>
> This protocol has very similar characteristics to implementations of
> syslog over ssl that are available at this time.  The author of that
> implementation has indicated that he will make changes to
> conform to this
> specification.

I am not sure if we can really say this. True, both use syslog over ssl
and the overall idea is exactly the same. The details, however, differ
greatly. Currently existing syslog/ssl uses octet-stuffing for framing
(LF inserted as end of record marker) while -transport-tls utilizes
octet-counting. While this is a small difference in design, it will make
existing implementations and -transport-tls implementations
non-interoperable. On the other hand, it should be extremely easy to
adopt existing code to the new way of doing things (even concurrently to
existing practice). Maybe this is worth noting.