David,

I went through my notes. Retaining PRI as is is actually a charter item:

---
Reviews have shown that there are very few similarities between the
message formats generated by heterogeneous systems. In fact, the only
consistent commonality between messages is that all of them contain
the <PRI> at the start. Additional testing has shown that as long as
the <PRI> is present in a syslog message, all tested receivers will
accept any generated message as a valid syslog message. In designing a
standard syslog message format, this Working Group will retain the
<PRI> at the start of the message and will introduce protocol
versioning.
---

So we can not change the PRI representation (and thus the representation
of severity).

>From what I see in my notes, we simply copied over the 3164 text on PRI
without any further thinking after we had set on this charter. I think
this is the primary reason that it was not better spelled out and be
undetected until now.

Rainer