I would like to plea with the group to figure out ways to stop using the
legacy MTU as a reason to constrain new standards. I would rather see
syslog-sign not support 3164 than for it to be constrained to 1024 bytes
because of some belief that it needs to support a non-normative RFC. My
recommendation is to NOT support 3164, Fix 3195 (remove the MTU), and
don't constrain the MTU unless there is a good reason (non-normative
legacy is not a good reason).

John Moehrke
GE Healthcare