Hi Glen,

thanks for the message. Let me start on an overview level: if you look
at the evolution of the draft, you will see that earlier versions were
quite specific on what to do if the message was malformed. However,
based on dicussion, one after another of these rules were deleted. The
reason was always that MUSTs here are not actually needed to ensure
interoperability.

You can get a glimpse of this discussion by looking at

http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/why-indepth.html

This is a very old page. For more recent samples, you should consult the
mailing list archives. There are (too) plenty samples of this being
discussed to point to anything specific.

The bottom line behind the current draft is that we do not necessarily
specify what happens if the message is malformed. This is not vital for
interoperability. Also, implementors will provide different solutions
(most probably operator-configurable) to address real-world needs. For
example, we could specify that a message with leap seconds in it MUST be
discarded - but if the operator insists that he needs such a message, an
implementor will always create a way to process it.

We are specific on invalid UTF-8 sequences. This must not be
interpreted, because this is a big security issue. However, even than it
might be OK for an implementation to store the invalid UTF-8 sequence.

If that is consensus, we can add the statement "the handling of
non-compliant messages will be implementation dependent" which very
precisely describes the list consensus.

Rainer