Mmm

I agree that management, SNMP or any kind, is only possible once we have agreed
a model - at some level - of what we are managing.  But I have no problems with
the model in RFC3164 that has been carried across into the current I-D  - except
one, which is for me the core of the problem.

So what is wrong with RFC3164?  I don't see it.  It does describe things I have
not seen in practice but have no problem with accepting that they exist and
should appear in the I-Ds.

I do find it telling that Rainer has a more limited definition of process than I
do ie I am happy to use it in the singular as a generic term for the various
bits of executing software in a something that emit a syslog message on the wire
whereas Rainer says no, that is several processes, we cannot refer to it as a
process singular.

Ditto device; RFC3164 ey seq. use it to describe something that emits a syslog
message on the wire and I will go along with that in the context of syslog.  So
when, David, you say you cannot map my terminology, of device (and syslogd) onto
that of the I-Ds, I am mystified.  I think I am using, and only using, the
terminogy of the I-Ds.

And if we cannot agree on this, then we cannot beign to specify how to manage
it, whatever it may be.

Tom Petch