Hi Folks,

David Harrington and I had a talk about syslog-sign and its dependencies upon 3195bis. As was noted in the email discussion it would be messy to try to publish syslog-sign with dependencies upon 3195, then update 3195, then revise syslog-sign. We had a talk with Sam Hartman, our AD, who agreed that we should revise RFC 3195 to eliminate unnecessary dependencies.

David and I are pleased to announce that Darren New, Marshall Rose and Eliot Lear have volunteered to produce a revision to RFC 3195. We expect that this will be a transport for syslog-protocol so that syslog-sign, and any other, future applications, can make use of syslog-protocol without having to worry about transport dependencies. Other goals of 3195bis will be to deal with the length limitation in a manner consistent with the other transports, and to eliminate references to RFC 3164.

We've have had an initial explanation of how the authors will revise 3195 which sounds reasonable. I will let Darren, Marshall and Eliot propose the changes to the list. This should be a quick effort so please pay attention and discuss this on the list so we can get it moving.

Thanks,
Chris & David