Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> I have been a bit brief. MSG is passed in via the POSIX API. So the
> actual generator of MSG is not syslogd. However, and you are right on
> this, from the "on the wire" IETF point of view, both are generated by
> the same entity, that being syslogd.
I would like to add that syslogd is one example only.
The generator could be a mail application, the authentication
module of any application or, any application that anyone
chooses to write  with the the syslog logging mechanism. It can
also be a piece of hardware that is wired to send a certain
"syslog message" under some circumstances. On the wire it is a
syslog message! There isn't much more to it.
So we do have a wide variety of "originators" on hand to fit
into the "layered model". That calls for a simple model :-)

> Rainer

Glenn