Chris:

Can we ask Mangus to provide suggested text? He mentioned it is just a
paragraph. This would make it a bit easier to get to the point of
what/how he wants addressed and evaluate if we agree with it. If his
suggested text is not too demanding on implementations, but rather a
recommendation, it is easier to accept it.

Is he now concerned with syslog reliability (dropping of arbitrary
messages due to congestion and queue overfill) instead of previously
raised concern of syslog being a bad citizen and causing congestion for
others?

For end-to-end reliability, we have a whole section describing many
aspects we did not intend to address in UDP draft.

Why is there an assumption of blocking application?  Maybe my syslog
application writes messages to file first, returns to client app and
then asynchronously transmits them while listening for ICMP errors. I
also don't think we intended to cover any end-to-end guarantees from
application perspective.  Even reliable network transport (TCP) does not
means reliable application-to-application delivery.  We had the
app-level-ack discussion and dismissed it.

So, yes, messages are not guaranteed to be delivered to their final
destination and processed there.  They can be dropped, they can get
corrupted, receiver may crash right after getting message but before
processing it, relay may fail, etc.

Thanks,
Anton.