Hi Sam,

I'm going to wait a day or so for any input from the WG.  However, the
proposed text seems to be acceptable.  Do you want a new ID, or is this
something that we can change in AUTH24?

Thanks,
Chris

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Sam Hartman wrote:

Hi, folks.

I think the WG made a mistake trying to address Chris Newman's comment
about Unicode TR36 and made the situation worse.

My understanding of what the WG was trying to do is to require that if
a BOM is present in a string, then the implementation can enforce
strict checks because it knows the message is Unicode and UTF-8.
Without the BOM, there's not a lot you can do.  The goal here is to
have consistent and secure internationalization between two new
implementations--that is a sender that includes the BOM and a receiver
that understands it.  So, basically the BOM is a signal that "Hi,
there; I'm new and you can trust my i18n to be reasonably well thought
through."
The following change seems to break this.

-   If a syslog application is processing a MSG starting with a BOM, then
-   it MUST be interpreted as being encoded in UTF-8 for the reasons
-   outlined in UNICODE TR36 [UNICODE-TR36], section 3.1.  If a syslog
-   application does not encode MSG in UTF-8, the string MUST NOT start
-   with the Unicode BOM.  Guidance about this is given in Appendix A.8.
+   If a syslog application is processing a MSG starting with a BOM, if
+   it contains UTF-8 that is not shortest form it MUST NOT be
+   interpreted as being encoded in UTF-8 for the reasons outlined in
+   [UNICODE-TR36], section 3.1.  Guidance about this is given in
+   Appendix A.8.

In particular if you get text from a new implementation that is not
shortest-form, it is an error.  You want to throw it away , or do
something else to indicate you have a security problem, not just treat
it as another encoding.

I propose the following text but would be open to alternatives:

  If a syslog application is processing a MSG starting with a BOM, if
  it contains UTF-8 that is not shortest form it MUST be discarded  for the
reasons outlined in