Hi Anton,

Thanks for your feedback!

> > Environment where active attack is concern:
> > The server is configured with certificate, but the client
> is not to be
> > required to be configured with a certificate. The client
> can generate
> > a selt-signed certificate by itself.
>
> Why do you need a self-signed certificate here? What purpose
> does it serve?

The client MAY use a self-signed certificate.

> You are not proposing using it for client authentication
> here, are you?

Not exactly. This is to explore various possible options with regard to
certificate, perhaps it is not necessary to appear in the specification.

> What is that? Let's be more specific if you intend to put
> this in the doc (same goes for names of these 3 scenarios).
> I think this configuration does two things: encryption and
> server authentication.

Active attack involves an attempts to change information by contrast with
passive attack. To be more specific, it is man-in-the-middle attack is this
case.

> > but is
> > vulnerable to client spoof.
> >
> > Security insensitive environment:
> > Both the client and server are not required to be configured with
> > certificate and trust anchor. They generate self-signed
> certificates.
>
> Again, why do you need client self-signed certificate here?
>
> > It is very easy for deployment because almost there is no
> > configuration required.
> > Note this configuration is vulnerable to active attack.
>
> More specifically, this configuration provides only
> encryption, but no authentication.
>
> > Which configuration should be mandatory? I seems we need not a
> > mandatory configuration from the PoV of implementation, right?
> > However, we do need to mandate the implementation (both client and
> > server) to support certificate configuration, trust anchor
> > configuration, and self-signed certificate.
>
> Let's separate what is required for implementation, and what
> is required for deployment.
>
> I think server MUST implement & be deployed with a
> server-based certificates for this transport. Whether it is
> self-signed or CA-signed can probably be left to a deployment
> choice. If it is self-signed, then effectively no server
> authentication is done, just encryption.
>
> The other part is client authentication. I think the server
> MUST support authenticating clients with certificates and
> client authentication is OPTIONAL for deployment.  The
> minimum authentication that server MUST support is validating
> the client certificate against trusted CA.

OK.

> A more secure server MAY also want to implement a mechanism
> which prevents an authenticated client from masquerading as
> something else in the messages that it emits. For example,
> 1mln certs may be signed by the same CA, but we don't want
> one client with one such cert to be able to masquerade as any
> of the 1mln other clients. To accomplish this, the server
> need to take client identity from CN field of the certificate
> and either validate it against some field in syslog message,
> or at least plug the CN value into the syslog message
> structured data, so that admin can do whatever validation
> he/she desires when needed.
>
> I think it is good to describe this additional client
> authentication consideration, but leave it as OPTIONAL. I
> think we discussed standardizing a unique CN field value
> before and it was not fruitful.
> Standard syslog structured field name for CN value would be a
> good idea.

Good idea, but I tend to not mix the content with its tranport. BTW, TLS
transport is hop-by-hop protocol rather than an end-to-end protocol, so it
will have difficulties to decide the content when the client is just a
relay.

> > We will need to specify a cipher suite (probably RSA-AES-CBC) for
> > inter-operatability,
>
> We need to specify at least 2 because one of them may become
> vulnerable after standard is released and software is deployed.
>
> The client MUST advertise support of cipher suite X & Y.
> Server will select the appropriate one based on its
> configuration for the TLS session. Server should not be
> forced to select one of those two. I don't think there is any
> server requirement here.
>
> As for specific cipher suites, it will probably be a religious debate.
> Maybe IETF has a policy on this?  I have seen one other
> standard require these two:
>
> * RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA
> * RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA

RC4 is for stream application, does it apply to Syslog/TLS?

RFC4346 mandates TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, however, I think 3DES is a
interim algorithm. Actually TLS 1.2 draft mandates
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA.