On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:59:25PM -0800, Chris Lonvick wrote:

[...]

I do not understand whether this is a discussion for re-chartering the
syslog WG or whether this is a discussion to clarify the current
charter or something else.

Taking the charter question aside for the moment, I personally can see
value in having an information model defined (what are the conceptual
knobs you have and what do they affect in the processing of syslog
messages). I am not sure what the value of trying a standard .conf
file is or whether this is feasible at all. (Like we found out that
traditional syslog implementations are very different, we might find
out that the .conf files that go along with traditional syslog
implementations have a similar degree of differences).

Turning back to the existing charter, I also note that this WG is in
the security area and one can of course raise the question whether
syslog configuration is a subject for this WG in this area. So perhaps
it is sufficient list the things an implementation needs to know in
order to use the security mechanism and the rest can be left to the
OPSEC WG to work out.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany