On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 01:46:41PM -0700, Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:
> You could easily build dbus-for-systemd inside the systemd buildroot,
> and never install dbus to the sysroot, but in a temporary location.
> After building the local dbus, system and udev, you just make install
> in only the udev parts and you now have a system without dbus or
> systemd.

We always find ways to work around crude upstream makefiles, that's not
the point. Most of the code in ptxdist/oe/buildroot/... is about
patching upstream packages for proper cross compilation. Most of that is
necessary because people invent their own superduper makefiles, instead
of using proven technologies like autotools etc. The arguments are all
in Lennart's paper about userspace for kernel hackers, and we fully
second that.

The thing is that the source distro maintainers need to invent their own
workarounds, in different ways and with different bugs. So our
suggestion is to go the systemd way and provide one proven solution in
the upstream.

However, all this is theory without patches. So I'd suggest that we do
our homework first and check if we find a minimal patch which avoids
complexity for the maintainers.

rsc