Openbox is actually running as a user process so it has no greater rights
than the user; that makes the use of a more capable daemon a bit more
reasonable.

No, if your action just runs `oblogout` (and possibly `systemctl
suspend`), then the capabilities of a normal user are sufficient.

Mantas, I think you are right that openbox can call oblogout, but my existing oblogout is trying to call shutdown, halt, hibernate etc etc and aren't those the things that HandlePowerKey is supposed to protect? I suppose there are dbus messages that can be used with consolekit, but that's just the more capable daemon again. Currently my oblogout is doing nasty things like sudo shutdown ie it gives itself super powers in a rather brutal way.
--
Robin Becker