On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Tejun Heo <t...@kernel.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Andy Lutomirski <l...@amacapital.net> wrote:
>> Now I'm confused.  I thought that support for multiple hierarchies was
>> going away.  Is it here to stay after all?
>
> It is going to be deprecated but also stay around for quite a while.
> That said, I didn' t mean to use multiple hierarchies. I was saying
> that if you build a sub-hierarchy in the unified hierarchy, you're
> likely to get away with it in most cases.

Isn't that exactly what I was originally asking for?  Quoting from
earlier in the thread:

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 6:27 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lenn...@poettering.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 22.06.13 15:19, Andy Lutomirski (l...@amacapital.net) wrote:
>>
>> 2. I manage services and tasks outside systemd (for one thing, I
>> currently use Ubuntu, but even if I were on Fedora, I have a bunch
>> of fine-grained things that figure out how they're supposed to
>> allocate resources, and porting them to systemd just to keep working
>> in the new world order would be a PITA [1]).

[...]

>> I think that what I want are something like sub-unit cgroups -- I
>> want to be able to ask systemd to further subdivide the group for my
>> unit, login session, or whatever.  Would this be reasonable?
>> (Another way of thinking of this is that a unit would have a whole
>> cgroup hierarchy instead of just one cgroup.)
>
> The idea is not even to allow this. Basically, if you want to partitions
> your daemon into different cgroups you need to do that through systemd's
> abstractions: slices and services. To make this more palatable we'll
> introduce "throw-away" units though, so that you can dynamically run
> something as a workload and don't need to be concerned about naming
> this, or cleaning it up.

If I can subdivide my service in the hierarchy, then I'm happy.  If
this gets lost *and* systemd insists on controlling the one and only
cgroup hierarchy, then I think I have serious problems with the new
regime.

--Andy