On Wed, 10.07.13 11:26, Dmt Ops (ops...@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm starting upgrades to old production servers to newer 64-bit Linux that
> runs systemd >= v195.
>
> Serial consoles are always my 1st step.  Before upgrade it worked great.
>
> After upgrade, with the new systemd-based config, I'm not having much luck
> so far.

Note that systemd will actually automatically spawn a serial getty on
the serial port kernel logging is directed to. Normally you should not
need to do anything.

> I configured the grub conf:
>
> serial --unit=0 --speed=57600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
> terminal --timeout=3 serial console
> title PRODUCTION
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sd1a noresume showopts x11failsafe vga=0x31a
> console=tty0 console=com1,vga
                       ^^^^^^^^

That doesn't look right.

> With that setup I get nothing out the serial port.  I probably have the
> grub cmd line wrong for using with systemd.  I could use some help getting
> this untangled.

Maybe the baud rate isn't right? Note that serial-getty@.service will
try to reuse whatever was initialized by the kernel, hence make sure to
configure the right parameters on the kernel console and you should be
fine.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.