> I figure we don't really need network-pre.target, as units that want to
> run before the network is up should just use:
>
>     Before=systemd-networkd.service basic.target
>
> THis is enough since network management services like
> NM are normal services, and networkd is the exception in being available
> from earliest boot on, including in the initrd. This means, that any
> firewall service that wants to cover this must be a early-boot service
> (i.e. DefaultDependencies=no), and thus ordering itself before networkd
> and basic.target should suffice...

Fwiw, I noticed that we already have a few firewall services using
Before=network.target, specifically
- firewalld
- pyroman
- iptables-persistent
- shorewall
- arno-iptables-firewall
- netscript

See [1].
I guess that means they are all broken atm and standardizing on a
upstream provided target would make sense.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=Before%3D.*network.target
universe are pointed away from Earth?